Emphasizing Quaker values and history, the role of the Adult Education Committee (ARE) is to provide educational programs for Celo Friends Meeting that enhance both the individual’s and Meeting’s spiritual growth. The Committee plans, announces, and leads programs around a theme for the season, and usually offers programs on the fourth Sunday of each month following Meeting for Worship, during the fall, winter, and spring, but not from May through September. The programs are currently offered on Zoom.
In addition to it’s monthly forums, the ARE also sponsors creation of Friendly 8s worship-sharing groups.
Recent themes have included:
- 2016 “How does the Truth prosper among you?” Discerning and Living the Quaker Testimonies of Integrity and Simplicity
- 2017 Welcoming the Stranger: People of Faith and Immigration, LGBTQ
- 2018 Deepening Our Spiritual Life by Understanding Our Quaker Roots: Vocal Ministry, Quaker Views of Scripture, Celo Friends History
- 2019 Living the Quaker Way, by Philip Gulley
- 2020 How Does the Truth Prosper Among You?: “What does God require of you, but to do justice, love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God.” (Micah 6:8)
- 2021 “Who Is My Neighbor?” (Luke 10:25-37): Racial Equity and the Color of Law